Sunday, September 1, 2013

MC Sept/13 - Caterpillar Binding - Cherish



I taught a caterpillar binding class yesterday and this is the book I made while teaching it.. Love caterpillar binding... This book measures 6"w x 7"h. It holds 9 signatures of 4 folios each making for 144  pages of Columbia mills LBS End Paper.

The covers are mat board covered with a leaf inclusion mulberry paper. PS I would not use this paper again for this structure... the leaves are very dry and keep flaking with the least provocation.

I used 4 ply waxed linen thread in a mauve tone and a dark brown.The coptic stitching is in the brown.

The large flourish leaf (Sizzix "Decorative Accents 10" was die cut from mat board and I inked it up with Versafine Toffee, embossed with Pipe Dream Ink "Fool's Gold" and then added a layer of clear embossing. Then heated an area and with a small spoon, sprinkled a bit of other colors (Banksia, Tarkine, Eucalypt, Sunburnt) and heated each area to set getting a really nice variation and autumn look to my flourish. Love doing this technique.

PS: I was in a cleaning/organizing mood yesterday and started working in my old upstairs art room and came across a treasure trove of die cuts... this was one of them. Had fun organizing them again and putting them in with my other die cuts. BIG GRIN


Used my electronic cutter to cut the word Cherish (Quietfire Design) - although this word doesn't seem to have been released yet... from 110# white cardstock and while it was still on my mat, stamped it with Impression Obsession "Bubbles" cover a card stamp and Perfect Medium. Removed the word and clear embossed. Then pressed a Distress pad "Vintage Photo" onto the word, and then "Broken China", and clear embossed. Love the look. Adhered to my cover with white glue using a small Quilling glue bottle - it has a needle tip opening...











On the inside the covers are covered with a thin purple/gold swirl mulberry paper. This time I covered my covers prior to sewing, sometimes I cover up the sewing afterwards...

Click on any image to enlarge. Enjoy

And it fits for these challenges:
Our Creative Corner  Monthly Sept - Forgotten things or techniques (the die cut, and the embossing powders, had to dig in the back of my drawer for them...)
Lil Red Wagon  #200 Polka Dots (decorates the word)
Simon Says Stamp Challenge  Anything Goes
Aud Sentiment  #88 put a sentiment on it
Totally Gorjuss  #199 texture
Corrosive Challenges  #182 all about fall
Pan Pastel UK  #35 spots & dots (decorates the word)












11 comments:

Claudia N. said...

I know how tricky mulberry paper can be! Seems you mastered it anyway ;)

A wonderful book and the binging looks so great! Browsing through almost forgotten stash can be sooo much fun! (Almost as good as shopping as some of the things are "again" "neW" to me, when I find them *lol).

Thank you for sharing this lovely make with us at OurCreativeCorner!

Claudia x

Laura Sterckx said...

Oh wow, this is gorgeous! I love the flourish leaf, it looks so pretty! :)

Thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Wednesday Challenge Blog! :)

JanR said...

That's some super cool binding! I love the spotty letters. Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Fabulous project. Thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments challenge good luck Ginny ♥

Claire said...

Wow what a fabulous project, really stunning! Thanks for joining us at PanPastel UK this week
Claire xx

Redanne said...

The paper may have caused you problems but it looks so beautiful on your book cover and that swirl die cut you found is gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining our challenge at Our Creative Corner this month. Anne x

Regan said...

Lovely book! The swirl die cut is fabulous! Thanks for joining us at The Corrosive Challenge!
{hugs}
Regan

Kathyk said...

FAB project

Kathyk

Terry said...

Thank you for sharing your fabulous project with the DT from PanPastel UK< love it, hugs terry xxxx

Julia S-W said...

A beautifully crafted book with lots of wonderful pages to create on! I love what you did to those die cuts too.
Thanks so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner for this challenge.
Juliax

Laurart said...

So gorgeous! I love how you have done that flourish with the embossing powders. Thanks so much for joining us this month at Our Creative Corner - Love from Laura xxx