Friday, June 19, 2015

MC June/15 - Umbrellas - Invisible Tears

And using another of the newest stamps from Quietfire Design. This stamp "Invisible Tears..." originally came out in 2011, but now it has been slightly revamped and comes mounted on cling foam. Whether you have the older design or get the newest one it's still a great stamp.

I had one of those urges again... for some umbrellas. Umbrella stamps I do not own... so carved a couple from my favorite product - clear lino which I really love by Jack Richeson & Co available at Kensington art Supply here in Calgary. So easy to carve - I drew my design with a Bic black marker. Cut the umbrella out along it's outside edges. Then used my x-acto knife held at a 45ยบ angle on either side of a rib line - voila - done. This is considered a solid or watercolor stamp which are the easiest to create.

I side folded my white card (5"w x 7"h). 

The first umbrella (lower left corner) I created a stencil from some paper, keeping the negative drop out as a mask for later. Placed the stencil on my card and stamped (Hero Arts "Flowing Flowers and Leaves" bkgr'd stamp) using Versamark, removed stencil and embossed with white embossing powder. Inked my umbrella stamp with Distress "Mermaid Lagoon" and "Black Soot" on the handle and tip.

Masked the first umbrella and stamped a smaller umbrella using "Worn Lipstick". Continued masking and stamping with various Distress colors. The large umbrella at the half way point on the right was stamped through the stencil using Impression Obsession "Bubbles", stencil removed and clear embossed prior stamping with the umbrella stamp inked with "Picked Raspberry" and touched a bit with the Lagoon.


carved umbrellas
After all the umbrellas were stamped, I stamped the raindrops (Designs By Ryn "Water Droplets) using Versafine Black Onyx.

Stamped the quote using the black onyx and clear embossed.

Created the paper umbrella from this tutorial (http://tutorialesminis.blogspot.com.ar/2013/01/paraguas-cerrado.html). I must admit, it's not as easy as it looks... mine just don't want to shape as neatly. Maybe the paper I'm using is too stiff... I will continue to try BIG GRIN but not loose any tears over it.

I used copy paper colored with Distress, die cut with Spellbinders Scalloped Circle die set, folded between the scallops, adhered to a piece of white floral wire with a bead at the top, then tied it with a narrow pink ribbon.

And fits for these challenges:
Crafty Sentiments  anything goes
Frilly and Funky  summer (rain is what we've been having in Calgary...)
Inky Impressions  #214 summertime
Simon Says Stamp Challenge  favorite tech or product (clear lino)
Crafty Ribbon Challenge  #121 rainbow of color + ribbon
Cute Card Thursday  #378 add a quote

6 comments:

Coccinelle Demoiselle said...

I love your umbrella stamping and in a lot of colors looks very great! I love it. Many thanks to join us in Crafty Ribbons rainbow challenge this week and good luck from Christelle DT
http://coccinelledemoiselle.blogs.marieclaireidees.com

Melissa Bove said...

Adorable card! Love all the umbrellas!! So sweet!

Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

hugs...
Melissa

Leslie Miller said...

I don't know what it is about umbrellas, but I just love them. So cute and colorful. Pretty amazing that you made your own umbrella stamps! Great card, Yogi!

Laura said...

Fun design
Thanks for joining us at Crafty Ribbons Challenges
Laura

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card, love the umbrellas ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

Unknown said...

Lovely card!! Thanks for playing along at Frilly and Funkie xx