Friday, September 30, 2016

Bar & Bat Mitzvah cards



I was commissioned to make a couple cards for a young guy and girl coming of age. This is what I came up with. Both cards are 5"w x 7"h  Enjoy


Since their birthdays are in the fall I decided to go with a fall theme for both - fall leaves for masculine and Black Eyed Susan's for feminine.

I did the calligraphy for both cards on paper using my parallel pen for the guy card and the bullet tip of my Zig Writer for the girl. The style of lettering is a "Job Wouters" style I came across a few years back, liked the letters in the word I saw and created my exemplar from it. For the girls lettering I used a "Hobo| font I saw as my basis. I then scanned the words/letters, manipulated them in my photo editing program by tilting it for the guys card and interlocking the letters for the girl's card. Then imported it into my electronic software and cut, along with shadow layers.

Guy card:
I side folded my chocolate brown card.
Created the background paper for the leaves on watercolor paper using Brushos & Color Burst powders in yellows, oranges, brown and green, lots of water, Schminke gold powder and coarse Kosher salt. Brushed of the salt when dry and then die cut using Tim's "Tattered Leaves" die. Adhered several to the front.

The top layer of the Bar Mitzvah was inked with an orange pad, and embossed using Emerald Creek "Thanksgiving" embossing powder. The top shadow layer was painted with Distress dauber "Ground Espresso". The bottom shadow layer I left white. Adhered all three together and then onto my card front.

Stamped the "on your" using Just Rite alphabet stamp set in Picket Fence and embossing with white embossing powder.

On the inside: Inked the "Mazel Tov" with distress mini pads in "Mustard Seed", "Carved Pumpkin" and "Mowed Lawn". Adhered to a white shadow layer, then on to my inside.

eCut the Jewish star, inked with a yellow pad and embossed with gold embossing powder.

Folded up the bottom of the card to create a pocket. eCut a jumbo leaf from the decorated paper, scored in lines on the back and then hit the high points with a rusty pad. Adhered to pocket edge to create a deeper pocket. eCut the name from white cardstock.

Die cut a tag from white cardstock using Elizabeth Craft Designs "Tags & More - 3 Leaves" set. Adhered a piece of the decorate paper behind to show through the die cut leaves. Sponged some brown around the top edges. Added a ribbon. The tag is for whatever greeting they want and the pocket will hold the money.

For the girl: I side folded a Bazzill monochromatic light pink cardstock.

Electronically cut the Black Eyed Susan's (Stampendous "Daisy Stem Trio") from white cardstock. Painted the cardstock with Distress dauber "Mustard Seed", then stamped using "Ground Espresso" mainly in the center area and lightly around the rest. Embossed with Emerald Creek "Oil Rubbed Bronze" embossing powder. Adhered several to my front.


Colored the lettering for the front and inside using Prisma colored pencils in various girlie colors... Inked with Versamark and clear embossed. The shadow layers I inked with Distress "Wilted Violet", adhered both layers together then onto the card.

Stamped the "on your" using the brown and embossed with the bronze.

On the inside: adhered the colored lettering. eCut the Jewish Star, inked with "Scattered Straw" and embossed with pearlescent embossing powder.

Created the pocket on the right side. Adhered a flower. eCut the name from white cardstock and applied decorative dots and lines with Liquid Pearls "Orchid".

Created the tag as above and sponged with some "Picked Raspberry". Added a mauve Sari ribbon.


 Click on any image to enlarge. Enjoy

And it fits for these challenges:
Guy card: 
Melon Headz Friends  autumn 
Scrapy Land  #50 Birthday

Girl card:
Catch The Bug  inspir image of a field of black eyed Susan's
Alphabet Challenge  pretty in pink
Ooh La La Creations  #214  feminine
Cut It Up Challenge  #106  pink
MFP Stamp Challenge  #38 Pink
 



7 comments:

Cut It Up Challenge Blog said...

Well, they both are gorgeous! I love all the pretty colors in the Bat Mitzvah card. Thanks for joining us for our Pink or BCA challenge at Cut it Up!

Evelyn
http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

Pam Tiedtke, or Pammie Lou said...

Great cards!! I'm lovin' me some pink!! Thanks for joining me at MFP Stamps Challenge!
Hugs

Ravengirl said...

Those are quite impressive!

Leslie Miller said...

A perfect card for each of them! You're clever with the calligraphy, but also with the electronic cutter. Right up your ally. I love the "Thanksgiving" embossing powder you used on the first card. Thought I had enough embossing powders, but this one is really nice!

Cynthia said...

The black eyed susans are lovely, Yogi. Thanks for sharing with Catch the Bug!

Linby said...

Very creative, thanks for sharing with us at OLL.
Lynn x
DT

Wynn said...

Two wonderful creations that I'm sure will be treasured. Thank you for sharing them with us at OLL Wynn DT